Monday, November 4, 2013

Hormones Are Just Not Cool



I decided to join the Upper Room fast this week, ‘cause fasting seems to help me deal with difficult situations.  Last time I fasted, it was right after stopping my antidepressants.  It was a very beautiful time of total dependence on God.  My rational, medically oriented mind said denying my body of food after stopping meds I’d been on for over three years was just plain stupid. But faith doesn’t abide by reason. Faith said I was choosing to trust God to heal my depression, bridge the gaps, fill in the missing pieces…Faith lets go of what I can see and reaches out to the One who knows me best.

My fasting this week is stimulated by continued problems with caffeine withdrawal, headaches, hot flashes, and sleep.  Yes, it’s all rooted in something that’s perfectly normal although horribly humiliating to me. And that would be the awful, dreaded time in life called menopause.  Those valuable hormones that have sustained me since I was 13, are now exiting my aging body quite rudely and abruptly.   I’m embarrassed though, because it means I’m getting old saying “so long” to the familiar, and acknowledging with or, perhaps without grace, another stage of life.  And I’m just not sure how easily I’m going to let go.  It seems to be causing me some grief, sadness, and fear about what to expect.  Maybe someone should write a book about what to expect when you’re expecting…menopause?

Yesterday I was so sleep deprived from recurring hot flashes and headaches that I felt like an idiot in Bible Class. We were divided into groups of four and asked to pray.  I re-introduced myself to a young man in my group that didn’t know me other than being Andrew’s mom.  So I look over at him and said, “You remember, I’m Andrew’s sister”.  Obviously I’d intended to say, “Andrew’s mom”.  It took a full 15 seconds at least, before I saw the looks on people’s faces letting me know I’d made another verbal snafu.  I corrected myself, and although one young adult continued to laugh hard, it wasn’t funny to me.  I then heard an old, ugly “tape” in my head, reminding me of how stupid I felt. 

When I was in elementary school, I was in some sort of discussion with my dad.  I can’t remember the specifics but he got agitated at me, and said something that left a permanent gouge in my self esteem.  He told me, “You’d be better to just keep your mouth shut, and then no one will know how stupid you are.”   Ouch.  I’m, afraid anyway of speaking out loud.  Most times, I don’t trust myself to get the words out correctly especially if I’m tired. We’ve just attributed my occasional “slow brain” to old Dissociative Identity issues, like an old scar that jolts me across some mental bumps in the road. On difficult days I’ve been disoriented, and on some level thought I was back in an earlier time frame.  I’ve told Tommy several times, “I’m not going to Longview today, maybe tomorrow.” What I meant was Mesquite, but for a bit of time, I couldn’t quit decipher where I was. We usually laugh about it, and the kids know they have to think around my words to the real meaning.  

Anyway, after the group's laughing subsided yesterday, I refocused on our task to pray for an individual.  I told myself that my intellect was in no way connected to my ability to get my thoughts formed into verbal communication.  Besides, the Lord was present.  I asked Him to speak through all of us and when it came time to pray, I did.  I’m not sure what all I said, but I know there was no stumbling.  The Holy Spirit has a way of bypassing our scars and fears and pouring out through even the most broken souls willing to be used.  And I am willing. 

So today, I will fast and draw near to my Father not just about the headaches and hot flashes, but with eager anticipation of anything and everything He wants to reveal.  As hard as it is to be thankful for the icky things in life, I’ll try to praise God for this time of change in my life, knowing that He is preparing and using my weaknesses to be a clear voice, for Him.




No comments:

Post a Comment