Thursday, August 29, 2013

Cutting Loose


I finally stopped taking them. It’s been over three years since my doctor agreed to treat me for depression.   It was humbling to have to go back to pills after being free of them for so long. But they helped pull me out of a very dark place when Andrew was so sick. I was thankful for the relief.

A few weeks ago I asked if I couldn’t try to get off the pills.The cost to keep me on Tommy’s family insurance at the school was more than we could afford each month.  So I started looking to get my own policy.  I’m unusually healthy for my nearly 49 year old body, but the rates were due to increase regardless of my low risk. Go figure… Paying that much was as good as throwing away grocery money each month. So while I was pruning the budget and things in our family were emotionally stable, meaning no one had died or was in the hospital, I decided to cut  myself loose from the antidepressants too.  Being prescription free would save even more money plus make me more marketable for acceptance with a private policy:)

It’s a scary thing to let go of, like releasing hold of a life raft because of my fear of drowning in depression. But the Lord has continued to bless me with healing from back pain, so I figured why not take the plunge again and ask for another miracle.

My doctor warned me things might get a little rough for a couple of weeks after stopping the medication. I told him I would stay intentionally close to God during that time and that He would keep me afloat.  He did! I've been pill free for three weeks and haven't even noticed a difference!

There is just no other high more intoxicating than being in God’s presence, cut loose from old securities, walking on the water with Him. Lord, I want to praise you for your mercy and grace, and give you all honor for your priceless gift of peace. 






No comments:

Post a Comment